PiGS is a software project for the CM-7500 DVR+ developed to replace the aging and inaccurate Channel Master Electronic Program Guide (EPG) with guide data from Schedules Direct. Channel Master posted that their guide will not be supported after January 1, 2022. PiGS is actually a custom mini-webserver, designed to provide schedule data to your DVR+.
Some of the Features of PiGS:
- Uses data from a 3rd Party data provider, Schedules Direct.
- Supports multiple channel lineups for dual or triple market users
- Works with older DVR+ firmware versions (1.34R tested, works)
- Grabs the pretty CM/Rovi Channel Icons for display on DVR+
- Uses Schedules Direct ‘Themed’ channel icons
- Also supports custom channel Icons you create
- Supports the ‘New’ program flag for recording new programs
- Adds (New) to the beginning of shows when they are ‘New’
- Provides an enhanced guide with Episode, Season, Cast info, e.g.:
(New)”Raging Bulls.” S6, E8. Aired: 1998-12-15. Tension between Sipowicz and Fancy explodes after a white patrolman shoots a black undercover officer. Cast List: Dennis Franz, Rick Schroder, James McDaniel, Nicholas Turturro, Gordon Clapp, Kim Delaney, Andrea Thompson, Sharon Lawrence, Kevin Dillon, Lola Glaudini, Scott Allan Campbell, Christopher Stanley, Sterling Macer, Scott Klace, James McBride, Joe Sabatino, David-Jean Thomas, Leontine Guilliard, Kingston DuCoeur.
You do need a computer of some type to run the PiGS server software. PiGS can run on multiple platforms, but the most straight forward method, which is recommended by the developer, is to use an inexpensive Raspberry Pi mini-computer, ~$45. The Pi is a very small separate low power computer, always on, and you don’t need to worry about it. But, there are numerous other ways to run PiGS, some of them free. Others are posting their novel solutions on the AVS forum. The Pi is where PiGS got its name: PiGS = Pi Guide Server!
Setting up PiGS will take some effort on your part, as PiGS is not a commercial product – PiGS is Free software, but if PiGS is useful to you, you can make a Paypal donation to the developer or do something like an Amazon Gift card to firstname.lastname@example.org . The setup & installation will be improved over time, and you can get help on the AVS forum.